Medication Refill Clerk/Nursing Assistant (A20-091) Full Time – Cheboygan
Make more than a living. Make a difference. Work for Alcona Health Center!
Alcona Health Center is a non-profit, Federally Qualified Health Center that is making a real impact in the Northern MI communities we serve, offering medical, behavioral health, dental and pharmacy services.
We are looking for a highly motivated, resourceful, and talented individual to join our team as a Medication Refill Clerk/Nursing Assistant (A20-091). This is a full-time (40 hours/ week) position in our Cheboygan location.
Benefits this position offers:
- A positive work environment and a family friendly schedule
- Family Health Benefits – Medical, Dental and Vision (90% Employer Paid)
- Paid Leave includes holidays, personal, sick, and vacation
- Short/Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Continuing Education Assistance
Processes medication refills and prior authorizations for Alcona Health Center patients./Prepares patients for treatment, testing, or examination and assists the clinic with patient flow within the scope of practice under the direction of a supervisor/manager.
Overview of Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes medication refills:
- Checks refill line for messages hourly and attempts to answer refill line live.
- Checks fax utility hourly for prescription requests.
- Verifies correct medication, dosage, and appropriate time for refills (Last visit date, last refill date, last refill amount, next visit date) within the Electronic Health Record.
- Processes medication requests per Medication Management policy/procedure.
- Records and updates patient medication lists in the EHR.
- Contacts pharmacies for medication renewals.
- Supports and assists clinical providers and nurses:
- Prepares exam rooms prior to patient appointments according to safety and sanitization protocols; cleans and disinfects medical equipment and reusable instruments after each use.
- Obtains and accurately documents in electronic health records program patient history, weight, height, temperature, blood pressure, and other vital signs, and prepares the patient for examinations or procedures.
- Reconciles patient’s medications and allergies at every visit. Adds medications to the medication module, discontinues medications from the medication module with provider’s knowledge and renews medications per provider orders. Updates allergy list per patient self–report, witnessed reaction or verified documentation. Ensures medication dates are updated to match the current year.
- Within scope of practice and direction of the provider, assist in all aspects of patient consultation, treatment, procedures, and follow-up care.
- Assists medical support staff during procedures such as, injections and blood draws, within the scope of practice.
- Checks and reports on medical supply inventory levels; stocks inventory upon arrival of supplies.
- Schedules and tracks all clinical referrals, orders and tests such as pap smears, mammograms, pregnancy, and immunizations.
- Performs routine machine calibrations as necessary.
- Prepare daily work schedules. Participate in huddles with provider and care team. Identify scheduling opportunities and gaps in care. Determine special needs for patients arriving that clinic day, identify patients who need care outside of their scheduled visit, and those with missed appointments needing rescheduling.
- Maintains appropriate documentation, such as clinic tracking logs and patient history.
- Screen and respond to patient phone messages in a timely manner according to health center guidelines, collaborate with provider, act on provider response, and communicate with patient; document task communications in EMR.
- Maintain the cleanliness and general appearance of work, examination, and treatment areas; clean, disinfect, sterilize, and maintain equipment and instruments following universal precautions, infection control and hazardous waste removal practices.
- Maintains a general understanding of UDS measures, MQIC guidelines, HEDIS measures, PCMH and NCQA standards. Utilizes appropriate resources to guide practice, i.e. Lippincott manual, MQIC guidelines, etc.
- General Tasks
- Answers telephones, takes messages, schedules appointments, tests or procedures, arranges referrals, and performs other administrative duties to meet the needs of patients, co-workers and the department. Staff telephone messages will be checked at least twice daily and calls returned same day. Work email will be checked daily.
- Initiates communication with patient and family to determine individual needs of patients, families and significant others.
- Recognizes limitations and initiates communication with co-workers and colleagues to share and exchange ideas and information about related activities and needs.
Required Certification and/or Licensures:
- Possesses a current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) CPR
- Preferred – Possesses a current Michigan state certification as a Nursing Assistant
We’re glad you are considering Alcona Health Center for employment! Successful candidates will work as a valued member of our team of medical professionals to provide quality, comprehensive care in the Patient Centered Medical Home model.
Please use the online form here to submit your application. Be sure to include your resume and letter of interest indicating why you believe you are a good fit.
Alcona Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Alcona Health Center is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Alcona Health Center are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Alcona Health Center will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Alcona Health Center encourages applicants of all ages.